Welcome

Welcome to fish out of water, a guide through my journey towards financial independence. I'm a college student who is moving out with two of my best friends and paying rent and some of my own bills for the first time. Here you will find my tips on how to save and make some extra cash when you're in need.. I hope this helps you if you are learning to budget, if you're between jobs, or if you're like me and happen to be making minimum wage. Feel free to message me with any questions, or tips of your own.
Enjoy!
-Madeline

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Unique Finds-Thrifting in Paradise!


Hey y'all! Hope you're having an awesome week! I got back about a week ago from a vacation in Newport Beach. My family owns a week at a time share down there, so I've been going once a year for about a decade now. But this year, I decided to spice up the vacation with a new activity, surprisingly frugal for such an affluent area- thrifting of course! I was surprised to find when I searched on the 'places' app on my phone that there were several thrift stores in the area. The only day I had free to go thrifting was Sunday, which unfortunately meant that a lot of the stores close to me were closed. The good news is that it lead me to what I now consider to be a Thrift Mecca.  There is a Goodwill in Santa Ana that has a tech store, clothing store, and a marketplace where you can buy clothing by the pound! Although I stuck to the clothing store since I was short on time and the marketplace was closed because it was a Sunday (I'll definitely be there next year though!), I found some incredible stuff at pretty good deals, including tons of merch for my store and some things for myself. This post will just showcase a few things I got for my own enjoyment, and I'll do a post soon about the things I sell online. But without any further ado, I give you some of my favorite finds from the two Goodwills I visited in Santa Ana:

First off is this Hardtail convertible dress/skirt that I've fondly dubbed my "Goldfish Dress" Yup, I bought it because the hemline and color remind me of a goldfish. I'm a lover of pretty much everything nautical or sea-related so I loved the inspiration behind this dress. It's a super soft, stretchy cotton and perfect as a cover-up or sundress. Hardtail is a brand my mom used to wear a lot when I was younger, and is known for making high-end athleticwear, most specifically for yoga. I had no idea that the brand was actually pretty expensive, and I purchased this dress for around $4. I did a google search, and while I can't find the exact dress, similar styles are selling anywhere from $55-$100. Score! 



 Next is this fabulous little guy, Flounder! I actually passed right by him, but luckily for me my dad's girlfriend Jenine and her daughter Jenna were with me, and Jenna grabbed it knowing that I'm a Little Mermaid FREAK (I had two different Ariel costumes last Halloween. That freaky.) and brought it over to show me. He is actually a cup, and I was particularly excited because I have a Sebastian cup that I bought last winter that is the same style. So he's now been added to my growing collection of Little Mermaid finds that I'm hoping will have a place in a little girl's nursery someday once I'm married. These originally held snow cones at Disney on ice shows, so I'm pretty sure they're not worth much of anything (now that I've checked, they're listed between $10-$20 on ebay, including shipping), but I happily paid $1.99 for the cup.




 Next is this Design Philipp vintage jewelry box. I loved the artwork on the outside. I'm not sure when exactly it's from, but I'm going to guess 60's-70's. The poor ballerina inside is missing her tutu, but I still think it's pretty cute and a neat little organizer for some of my jewelry. I paid about $3 for this.



 And finally, seven VHS tapes! I know these are considered to be out of date, but I don't have a problem with them. I definitely see the merit in DVD's for newer live action movies, but for old cartoons and films that were captured without HD technology, I don't see any reason to pay a higher price if the resolution will be pretty close to the same. I was also gifted a VHS/DVD combo from my old job as an intern when we were junking some of the older computers and things from one of our classrooms, so I like finding films that were never made into DVD's and first editions and knowing I'll be able to use them. One of these is a first edition of The Little Mermaid (I have one copy already but couldn't resist a cheap backup) the one with the inappropriate palace tower. If you haven't heard about that, here you go. 
A couple of these I haven't seen yet, but most of them are old faves and I'm excited to have them to take with me when I move into the apartment. I paid $0.95 for each of them. 

This copy of the Fox and the Hound is actually still in its' plastic wrap, with its' "Disney Home Video" seal still in place. 

 Pretty neat, huh? I've snapped up quite a few VHS's lately because I just keep finding great classics, but this brand new one was a first. If you're not totally preferential to digital and want some cheap, nostalgic entertainment, hit up a thrift store! Almost all of them have great selections of VHS tapes.
I was also really happy about this copy of Pinocchio, another one of my old favorites. The cover art looks super old and I thought it was really neat. Even if the video doesn't work(because that's always a possibility) I'll definitely be keeping the case. 

Thrifting out of town for the first time was definitely a cool experience, and I'm looking forward to visiting a few stores when I go to New York in a few weeks for the U.S. Open!
So, what are some of your favorite things to do on vacation? Let me know!
-Madeline

Mark 12:31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”


TwoTip: Shopping for yourself is always fun, but thrifting for unique finds gives you a great opportunity to play to the interests of others in your life! At these prices, you don't have to save gifting for a special occasion, so next time you see something that you know a friend/coworker/family member would love, go ahead and spend a couple of bucks to brighten up their day! Others will be touched by your act of kindness, and happy to know that you pay attention to the things that they like.

No comments:

Post a Comment