Welcome

Welcome to fish out of water, a guide through my journey towards financial independence. I'm a college student who is moving out with two of my best friends and paying rent and some of my own bills for the first time. Here you will find my tips on how to save and make some extra cash when you're in need.. I hope this helps you if you are learning to budget, if you're between jobs, or if you're like me and happen to be making minimum wage. Feel free to message me with any questions, or tips of your own.
Enjoy!
-Madeline

Friday, July 27, 2012

My First Experiment in Couponing

Hey y'all! 
     I only have about a month until I move out, so my quest for savings is in high gear! I told you in my last (and first) post the reasons that I love thrifting so much. Unfortunately for me, you can't buy everything at the thrift store (or at least you shouldn't). Things like food, makeup, and toiletries can add up pretty quickly, so today I decided to take my first whack at what I like to think of as a close sister-activity to thrifting- couponing! When TLC's hit show Extreme Couponing debuted in December 2010 it quickly fascinated millions of viewers with the art of saving, myself included. While many sprang into action and started clipping coupons right away, I was not so quick to save. Not having to pay for my own groceries, I used coupons here and there where it was convenient, but never paid much attention (I know, selfish). Now that I'm preparing to pay my own way, I started doing some research on how to save. Enter; the Krazy Coupon Lady! Unfortunately as I write this, the 'About' page of the Krazy Coupon Lady's site is down, so I'm not able to provide you with much info. Joanie Demer, featured on the aforementioned show, has created her own site The Krazy Coupon Lady to help others achieve the same 'Krazy' savings that she thrives on. The site features everything from tips for beginners to deals of the week, and even links to print your own coupons from featured websites. I'll write more once I've made couponing more of a habit, but for now I wanted to share with you the results of my first 'haul' (and trust me, this is nothing!)

                                                               All of this cost me $2.76!

All of these were free!

Using the Krazy Coupon Lady's site, I was able to score coupons that got me free Oreos (yum!) and ballpoint pens. Because I had a  negative $0.24 charge on my oreo purchase at Rite Aid, I got to pick out another item to use the 24 cents on. I picked out gum on sale (2/$2.00) and later realized that the cashier had accidentally rung one of my dollar coupons twice, resulting in me only being charged $.76 for the gum and cookies total, Score! Then at target I used a coupon to score the free ballpoint pens, as well as another coupon I'd printed from KCL giving me $3 off on any purchase of Mossimo clothing. I chose this tank top, which was already marked down from $8 to $5, giving me a total after the coupon of $2 for an adorable striped tank. I was extra happy about this one because even though I thrift most of my clothing, I prefer to buy the basics like tank tops and plain tee's new (I'll post a blog later on buying new at the thrift store-it does happen!). My final freebie was a Physician's Formula liquid eyeliner and lash booster. I stumbled across this one on my own when searching google for a coupon on my favorite concealer, and found a 'try me free' offer on the Physician's Formula Website (note the sticker on the box). I did have to pay for it at the store, but tomorrow I'll mail in my receipt and sticker for a full rebate. Moral of the story- don't be afraid to search for coupons on your favorite brands! So that's my score for the day-not bad for my first time couponing! 

TwoTip: Print out a few coupons for products you won't be using and seek out a few strangers who are buying those products in the store. Share the savings and they'll be thrilled with your random act of kindness!

Mark 12:31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Have any of y'all tried couponing? Tell me about your best scores! Thanks for reading, and have a blessed day!:)
-Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment