Welcome

Welcome to fish out of water, a guide through my journey towards financial independence. I'm a college student who is moving out with two of my best friends and paying rent and some of my own bills for the first time. Here you will find my tips on how to save and make some extra cash when you're in need.. I hope this helps you if you are learning to budget, if you're between jobs, or if you're like me and happen to be making minimum wage. Feel free to message me with any questions, or tips of your own.
Enjoy!
-Madeline

Thursday, August 16, 2012

To Save and Be Saved

Hey everybody!
I hope you're all having a wonderful week!
So as you know if you've been reading, this blog is all about savings for those of us who are on a budget, or who are learning to be.
I hope that if you've been reading and seen my blogger profile, you've noticed that I'm a Christian.
The "TwoTip"s that I include in every post are based off of the Second Commandment, to love others as we love ourselves.
I like to include them because something that I've learned over the years and that I hope you all can agree with is that while monetary savings are great, they are absolutely meaningless when it comes to your happiness.
So, before I go on to tell you about more savings, I'd just like to say that it is much more important in the long run that you BE saved. 
A great Bible passage that I read last night is called "The Futility of Wealth" and comes from Ecclesiastes 5:8-20.
In the passage, Solomon writes about how wealth does little to bring long term happiness to those who seek it with no other fulfillment. My favorite verse from the passage is:
Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness! (Ecclesiastes 5:10)

For me, it was pretty easy to recognize the truth in that verse.
I know that on days like today when I'm feeling blue, no amount of free Glade products or other couponed goodies can make me feel better. 
I have found that I can go work out, eat something sweet, read a good book, or any number of other things, but they won't do me any long term good if I'm not coming to Christ with my worries.
My testimony is a pretty long one, so I won't write out the whole thing, but I will say that I've become a totally different person since dedicating myself to Christ. 
There is a happiness and a peace that I find in God's Word and in prayer that I'm unable to find elsewhere, and a comfort that I find in knowing He is by my side listening day and night, no matter what happens.
I'm not a perfect person. I sinned today and I will sin tomorrow, not because I want to, but because human nature is imperfect. 
There is a peace in knowing that you are forgiven and that you Heavenly Father loves and cares for you no matter how far you fall and no matter what you do. That peace has spoken itself into my life and turned me from a bitter, angry, insecure and mean person to someone who does my best to live up to the Lord's standards for my life. 
Whether you want to hear it right now or not, I just wanted to take a moment to say to you all that God loves you. 
He sent his Son to die on the cross and bear your sins. He watches his most precious creation be torn apart and viciously beaten for your sake. 
As horrific as that may be to imagine, Jesus made the choice to bear that pain for you. 
Not only to die for you, but to endure beatings, ridicule, and extreme amounts of pain so that you would never have to.
Everyone has struggles and everyone has bad days, but having the One who created the Earth by your side is an incredible feeling, the perfect support system.
I hope that you all will take a minute to read Ecclesiastes 5:8-20 and consider the things that it says.
If you don't have a Bible, you can look it up online, but if you'd like a hard copy, feel free to message me your contact info and I'll be happy to send you one.
God Bless,
 Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment