Welcome

Welcome to fish out of water, a guide through my journey towards financial independence. I'm a college student who is moving out with two of my best friends and paying rent and some of my own bills for the first time. Here you will find my tips on how to save and make some extra cash when you're in need.. I hope this helps you if you are learning to budget, if you're between jobs, or if you're like me and happen to be making minimum wage. Feel free to message me with any questions, or tips of your own.
Enjoy!
-Madeline

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Score(s) of the Week! And updates!

Hey y'all! Hope you are having a nice week!
I realized I haven't posted much about my couponing scores lately so I wanted to bring you a couple of my favorite couponing trips.
But first, some small talk:)
After putting in a bunch of resumes, I finally got an interview at Charming Charlie last week.
(it's an accessory store)
Less than 24 hours later, I got a call back and I'm hired! Yay!
I had my orientation on Monday and they put us Charmers straight to work!
We learned how to merchandise and spent a couple of hours organizing all of the purses in the store. 
(which was a TON of purses, by the way)
As of now, the job is part time and seasonal, but I'm glad to be back working retail and adding more experience to my resume.
For now I have four (yes, that's FOUR!) hours a week. 
Laughable, but they should go up according to my sales.
Fingers crossed those fish will be biting.

Hours at the theater aren't so good right now.
Last week I finally had 20 hours for the first time in a couple of months,
but next week I'll only have 15.
My boss transferred another employee to the theater in spite of short hours,
but we have had two people quit in the last week so hopefully hours will be better soon.

I find it kind of funny that the two jobs that I have carry the titles "Charmer" and "Cast Member"

Fitness wise I haven't been doing so great, but today I bought a new fitness aid that I will talk about in a few weeks once I see how it ends up working out.

Anywhoo, here are my scores, complete with clever titles:

"Color My World" 


14 L'Oreal Excellence Hair colors for free!
I scored these at Rite Aid!
These retail for 8.99, making retail value $125.86
I have a "Gold" 20% off discount, making them 7.19 each or $100.66 total
Subtract 7 $5/2 manufacturer coupons and 7 $5/2 store coupons, and you get $30.66 total
Add $8 tax, $38.66
There's a deal going on right now that gives $10 in +Ups for each $25 spent on L'Oreal,
so I got $40 back, giving me a $1.34 money maker after tax.
I also snagged two Schick Hydro Silk razors and two refill packs (approx $57 retail)
and four lip smackers products for free.
I also purchased a package of hair ties and one of bobby pins.
While they weren't exactly free, the purchase earned me +Ups which made them pretty cheap.
Something to keep in mind is that certain items you may need might not end up being free, especially if they are brand-specific.
You can still save by buying them at a store like Rite Aid or CVS if you have a  gold or silver discount, or a one-time percentage off pass.
It also helps to wait until register rewards come along, which is bound to happen once in awhile.




"CV-YES!"


I don't post a whole lot about couponing at CVS, mostly because I usually don't do many deals there.
While Rite Aid, my preferred store, usually offers at least two rewards per deal offered,
a lot of CVS freebies end up being one-time uses, and often on a single product.
There are couponers that do a lot of business at CVS and do a great job at it, 
but so far I haven't had much luck with that.
If you're looking for a great CVS couponer, check out Jackie on youtube at Islandcoupongal
She posts awesome deal and haul videos every week and has quickly become one of my favorite subscriptions.

But anyways, yesterday I was super excited to get my first big score at CVS.
The Gain dish detergent you see above is on sale this week for 97 cents this week, and it just so happens that P&G made a boo-boo on some Gain coupons they released last month.

In the Sept. 16th Red Plum, there were $2/2 and $1/1 off of any Gain detergent coupons.
They had pics of laundry detergent, but did not state that it was exclusively for laundry detergent or list any size exclusions for products to which it could be applied.
I had 6 of each coupon, so I ended up buying 18 9oz dish detergents absolutely free!
I also picked up a bottle of Di-gel which was one of those one-reward deals I was talking about.
Since I've started couponing our medicine cabinet has been stuffed FULL of miscellaneous free OTC's.
Guess those will come in handy now that it's getting cold:)

Mark 12:31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Twotip:Put work boots on huge hauls! While things like this dish detergent are super useful to have around the house, when you're getting a lot at a time you can afford to hand some off to friends and fam. I've set aside a few detergents for my Mom and Nana and given some to my Dad already, and still think I'll have enough to last us a few months at the apartment. Next time you get a large quantity of a useful item, make sure you consider the work it could do in others households as well as your own:)

What are some of your best hauls?
Who do you share your goodies with?
Keep me in the loop!
-Madeline




No comments:

Post a Comment